Laser Hair Removal
Safe and effective IPL laser hair removal in Oxfordshire
What Exactly Is SHR?
You will be pleased to learn that this form of permanent hair removal is not only painless, it is the safest option currently available on today’s market. Using the most up-to-date technology, this method proves timely and efficient when carried out by a trained professional.
How Does It Work?
SHR treatment is designed to cause long-lasting damage to target hair follicles. This in turn prevents the re-growth of the hair. By gently heating over the required area, the applicator used varies in temperature to ensure maximum effect. Released are short and gentle energy pulses that directly target the hair follicle whilst dissuading return.
How Long Will The Actual Treatment Take?
Lucky for customers, they can pop across on a dinner hour. The treatment itself can take as little as five minutes! If the area is relatively small and this will be reflected in the allocated time. A facial treatment will take on average fifteen minutes with both legs eating into just 30 minutes of your lunch break – ideal!
How Many Treatments Will I Need To Achieve The Required Results?
For permanent hair removal to be successful you will need around 6-12 sessions. This will be discussed with you upon initial enquiry as we like to ensure our clients are fully informed of all aspects when it comes to the treatments we offer. During a session the energy is actually applied over a large area. It is not specific to the home of the hair follicle. This works towards improving not only treatment times but results as well.
Is SHR Permanent Hair Removal Suitable For Everyone?
SHR is one of the only treatments available offering suitability for all skin types. Remember, this method involves heating and cooling as opposed to follicle exposure via high intensity pulses. This option works extremely well for fair-haired people whilst posing no issues at all during the summer months when tans have developed. The procedure is suitable all-year round.
Is It Safe?
From the clinical studies undertaken, SHR has been proven to be the safest method of light based hair reduction for all skin types. Melanin found within darker skin is known to be much more sensitive to the heat when used in light based treatments. There are no such issues presented with this option.
Is Preparation Required Before My Treatment?
In order for the treatment to be as successful as it possibly can be there are a few requirements to take on board:
- Please ensure the area to be treated is free from ALL topical solutions
- Shaving is required 2-12 hours prior – any sooner can result in heightened sensitivity during the process
- Avoid exposure to the sun for a minimum of three days before treatment – whilst tanned skin is absolutely fine to work with, the tan cannot be active in order to achieve maximum results
- Cease use of tanning creams two weeks before treatment
- Avoid bleaching, plucking, waxing, epilation and any other forms of hair removal for 4 weeks prior
- Do not use essential oils 48 hours prior
- Depilatory creams should be avoided 1 week before treatment commences
- Cold sore medication can be taken five days before and five days after treatment
- Should you be on antibiotics it is recommended to leave a two week gap between taking them and starting treatment
So I’ve Had My Treatment – What’s The Aftercare Routine?
- Soothing lotions such as aloe vera can be used should any redness or swelling occur – this is highly unlikely
- It is recommended to avoid perfumes and deodorants for 24-48 hours after a treatment
- Hot baths, saunas, jacuzzi, massage or athletic activities are best to avoid for 2-3 days after treatment
- Post treatment sun exposure is not recommended and due to increased skin sensitivity we suggest a factor 30 to be on the safe side alongside no sunbeds for 4 days
- Antihistamines are perfect for alleviating any itches that rarely arise
- Avoid skincare containing AHA, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Retinoic Acid (Retina A) for 3-5 days after treatment
Frequently Asked Questions about Laser Hair Removal
How does SHR remove hair?
The Intense Light penetrates the skin and is absorbed by the melanin in the hair. This absorption treats the hair, with the heat being transported to the nourishment structure of the hair (follicle). This is heated up for a millisecond thus destroying the follicle. Hundreds of follicles are destroyed by each flash, and the hairs then fall out in 2 weeks.
Hair has 3 distinct phases in the growth cycle, and it is only when individual hairs are in the active growing phase that they can be destroyed. Therefore at any point in time, not all hairs will be destroyed. Furthermore, new hairs can grow in addition to those that will subsequently enter an active growing phase. This is why a number of treatments are required for hair removal (depending on skin and hair type and area of the body/face being targeted).
Can all types of hair be treated with laser hair removal?
Most hair as long as it contains pigment.
Is IPL laser hair removal treatment painful?
The sensation is extremely variable from one individual to another. It depends on the concentration of melanin in the skin, hair size and hair density. In general people compare it to the flick of an elastic band.
The technology has come on so much over the years that most people do not find this treatment painful.
Who can’t be treated?
• Tanned skin (active tan) through sun exposure or tanning bed use in the previous 4 weeks or hypopigmentation (Vitiligo);
• Any current inflammatory skin condition e.g. eczema, active Herpes Simplex, etc. at the treatment site;
• Skin cancer or any other cancer and / or who reports he/she is undertaking any cancer drug therapy (such as Ducabaxine, Flurouracil, Methotrexate, etc.);
• A history of keloid scarring;
• A history of heart disease (Angina, heart pacemaker, taking anti-coagulant drugs);
• Using St. John’s Wort (herbal remedy) in the past 3 months (owing to possible photosensitivity);
• Using Isotretinoin – Roaccutane or Tretinoin – Retin A in the previous 3 months for the treatment
of acne or other dermatological conditions;
• Pregnancy; until periods return and end of breast feeding;
• Taking drugs for diabetes (owing to possible poor wound healing);
• Taking any topical medication (e.g. hydrocortisone) or is wearing perfumes, deodorants, sun
block, essential oils or other skin lotions in the area to be treated;
• Surgery in the past 6 months;
• A history of HIV or AIDS;
• A history of epilepsy or kidney disease;
• To be under 18 years of age if the establishment is not registered to treat children.
How do we know if sufficient treatment has been given?
In the majority of cases, there is no immediate visible effect. If peri-follicular papullae or redness appears around the hair follicle, this indicates the treatment has been successful although it is not always the case.
How many sessions are necessary?
It is estimated that around 20% of hairs are in the relevant part of the growth phase to be successfully treated, at any one time. Most clients will see a massive improvement after 1 session. If people treat well they will usually need about 6 treatment sessions. However this may alter according to each individual client. Zeolight treatment time is much quicker than most IPL machines on the market today.
Whats the difference between SHR & IPL?
With SHR technology the hair removal methodology that involves the hair pigment uses only 50 per cent of the energy for permanent hair removal. The remaining 50 per cent is absorbed into the stem cells responsible for hair production through the skin during treatment with SHR technology.
With SHR technology one does not need single pulses with high energy. The skin is massaged six to ten times using low energy but with high frequency. This procedure is referred to as the so-called “in-Motion” methodology, because the hand piece is moved over the treated area in sliding movements. (Unlike this, the IPL technology is called “stamp technology”.)
Using the SHR technology the skin is heated gently through the melanin and the stem cells with low energy (48 degrees) but with high frequency. In that way even lighter and finer hair can be treated and removed permanently in a better way. With IPL technology the skin is heated up to 70 degrees.
Treatment Area Cost Upper Lip £25 Chin £25 Lip & Chin £40 Cheek or Sideburns £30 Neck £35 Face £60 Face & Neck £70 Full back £150 Upper Back & Shoulders £70 Full Arms £80 Half Arms £50 Underarms £50 Chest (male) Small £50 Chest (male) Large £70 Treatment Area Cost Chest & Stomach £100 Stomach Line £25 Nipples £25 Half Leg £100 Full Leg £150 Inside Leg £50 Inside Leg & Bikini £80 Full Leg & Bikini £170 Half Leg & Bikini £120 Bikini (Small/Sides) £40 Bikini (Large/Side & Top) £50 Brazilian £70 Hollywood £80
We have just taken on the fast & effective SHR laser at Bare Essentials.
We are offering clients 1/2 price on full body treatments (at least four areas) if a course is bought with us.
Please contact us if you’d like to know more or to book a consultation.